Reporting to the Quality Assurance Supervisor, Quality Assurance Technician is responsible for implementing food safety, quality program and policies effectively, providing positive evidence that such programs lead to the production of safe quality foods. Expected to participate in food safety and quality initiatives/projects and lead as an example for plant populations on food safety, quality standards. Will be responsible for following established food safety and quality procedures. Provisions will be made to cover the absence of an employee in this position.
The successful candidate must be able to work a flexible work schedule including mornings, afternoons and weekends.
Occasional lifting is required, the successful candidate will be required to lift weights up to 50 lbs.
The following list of duties and responsibilities of the QA Technician position is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job described. Rather they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
- Quality Assurance functions for meat-based protein processing environment (beef, poultry, and pork).
- Perform process control tasks including pre-op, in process tests and end product testing as per SOP.
- Maintain and calibrate testing equipment (e.g. metal detectors, fat analyzer etc.).
- Monitor process control standards. Work with plant operations to ensure standards are met.
- Assist plant operations, trouble shoot process concerns, return process to in control status.
- Inspect raw material and ingredients for compliance.
- Prepare monthly summary reports.
- Communicate key information to all stakeholders and QA team members.
- Participate in training programs for relevant food safety & HACCP procedures, product quality requirements, equipment & process technology.
- Contribute to the overall Health and Safety of yourself and all team members.
- Participate in JHSC initiatives and follow established policies as outlined in the Health and Safety policies.
- Must be able to ingest/taste meat products (beef, pork and chicken) for quality control purposes.
- Other duties as required.
The ideal candidate for this role is a self-starter, dependable, hands-on and detailed oriented employee. Other competencies and qualifications are outlined below.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent food manufacturing QA experience in lieu of education
- Food related experience in a similar environment preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of Operation, HACCP, and QA systems
- Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Good Excel skills
- Able to work in wet and cold environment