JD Sweid Foods is one of the largest poultry and red meat further processors in Canada. We service both the retail and food service channels and offer high quality products that deliver on taste. With locations in Langley, BC and Waterloo, ON, we employ over 600 people nationally. At JD Sweid we have created something special: A better place to work and feel like a part of a team. Many employees start just expecting a pay cheque but end up with a rewarding career. We provide exceptional training during your early days. We always try to promote from existing employees by creating internal advancement to all employees. We are currently looking to add a Product Developer at our Langley facility:
We are currently seeking a full time Product Developer to join our Western Canada Team. Reporting to the Product Development Manager, the primary responsibilities of this role will be to develop new products, improve existing formulas/processes and be a source of technical support for the organization and our customers as it relates to products and ingredients. A passion for food science and technology with an ability to use science and technology to drive innovation and meet consumers’ needs will be important. Provisions will be made to cover the absence of an employee in this position.
- Actively work with cross functional teams to bring products through the Product Development and Commercialization process.
- Develop formulations and benchtop samples.
- Oversee production scale up activities such as plant trials and product launches.
- Participate in ideation sessions and be involved in innovation development.
- Cost creation and feasibility analysis.
- Interact with suppliers on ingredient sourcing, pricing, and upcoming trends.
- Conduct sensory tests and report results.
- Support label and packaging development.
- Improve existing products and processes while maintaining product quality.
- Act as a resource and subject matter expert for the development of new processing measures and SOP guidelines.
- Provide technical support for Business Development and our customers.
- Maintains project files to ensure collection and transfer of learning and knowledge.
- Stay up to date on current trends, regulations, culinary innovation and new technologies.
- Bachelor of Food Science degree required or equivalent education and work experience.
- Experience in food industry, preferably in Product Development.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment is not required but considered an asset.
- Possess good leadership skills including a big-picture vision and a drive to bring it to life.
- Have a spirit of creative problem solving and strong critical thinking skills.
- Possess a can-do mentality with a willingness to take initiative.
- Capable of being a self-starter.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- A team player and an active member of our Product Development team.
- Be a champion for change and continuous improvement.
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced and flexible team environment.
- Must be able to work in both office and manufacturing environments.
- Must have flexibility to adjust standard work hours and work overtime when needed to support occasional production activities.
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care