JD Sweid Foods is one of the largest poultry and red meat further processors in Canada. We service both the retail and food service channels and offer high quality products that deliver on taste. With locations in Langley, BC and Waterloo, ON, we employ over 600 people nationally. At JD Sweid we have created something special: A better place to work and feel like a part of a team. Many employees start just expecting a pay cheque but end up with a rewarding career. We provide exceptional training during your early days. We always try to promote from existing employees by creating internal advancement to all employees. We are currently looking to add to a Cost Accountant at our Waterloo facility:
Reporting to the CFO, the Cost Accountant will be responsible for maintaining accurate and timely cost analysis data. This would include establishing and updating projected costs, maintaining standard rates, accurate inventory valuation and cost analysis. Variance and exception reporting are key parts of the role. Provisions will be made to cover the absence of an employee in this position.
- Work with Product Development and Operations to develop cost estimates and BOM’s for new products and modifications to existing products
- Set up new items and BOMs in Laguna and review and modify existing BOM’s as necessary.
- Compare actual costs to standards and estimates and analyze variances
- Development, maintenance and gate keeper of production standards
- On going review and maintenance of overhead and labour application rates
- Assist in month/year end close as needed
- Analysis of inventory and product costing
- Assist Operations in development and measurement of cost-saving initiatives.
- Weekly, monthly, Ad Hoc reporting of key operational numbers vs targets and prior years
- Assist IT Manager with deployment of IT Assets and minor break-fix support in the Waterloo location.
- ERP and Production database support person.
- Update and maintain Operation and Logistics files.
BUSINESS CULTURE & DEPARTMENTAL CAPABILITY
Organizational Growth and Development
- Models and supports behaviours which drive our culture.
- Commits to on-going open and effective two-way communication with the department and across the organization.
Health and Safety
- Contributes to and models behaviours that support our commitments to a respectful workplace.
- Participate in training programs for relevant food safety & HACCP procedures, product quality requirements, equipment & process technology.
- Report all accidents, incidents and near misses to your Supervisor and a Member of the Health and Safety Committee.
- Contributes to the overall Health & Safety of yourself and all team members. Participate in JHSC initiatives and follows established policies as outlined in the Health & Safety policies.
- Dedicated and detailed oriented person, with a high level of initiative.
- Ability to interact and communicate with all departments on a daily basis.
- Working towards or possessing an accounting designation (CPA)
- Two or three years accounting experience, in a manufacturing environment
- Analytical problem solving skills
- High level of initiative and ability to prioritize
- Strong communication skills including presentation of analysis
- Proficient in Excel
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop and computer peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
- Ability to conduct meetings.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced and flexible team environment.